Accountants are expected to be very detail oriented, therefore as an accountant you will and probably should feel some added pressure when it comes to creating your resume. Any little mistakes on your resume will automatically lead an employer to think twice about your attention to details.
The goal of a good resume is to accentuate your most important skills, and past professional experience in a way that makes you the “perfect candidate” for the job which they hiring. In order to accomplish this it is important to craft your resume to fit the job description for the position/s which you are applying. Your resume’s layout will also play a small role in contributing to help your resume stand out from the others, while also making user friendly and easy to navigate.
For some effective resume layouts visit some of our resume pages with free resume templates.
In this article we’ll give you some nice sample bullet points and information to help you put together your own personalized resume. The sample information below should help to get your creative mind going, but remember to incorporate your own personal past experience and skills to make the resume your own unique creation.
Sample Accounting Resume
2301 Brea Drive
Portland, OR 89765
Certified Public Accountant
Detail oriented CPA with 8 years of large business experience developing, implementing and managing financial systems. Professional at establishing accounting systems and functions, including controls in order to maintain budgets and improve P&L statements. Strong understanding of international tax law, along with strong bi-lingual written and communication skills.
Computer & Technical Skills
Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project)
Fog City Corporation, Portland, OR
July 2010 – Present
Responsible for selecting and implementing new company accounting software system; which improved our financial reporting capabilities. Supervise and manage a team of 3 accountants and a bookkeeper. Oversee financial audits, A/R, A/P, and G/L activities to ensure GAAP compliance. Develop and maintain external financial relationships with insurers, banks and auditors, while consistently looking for ways to strengthen financial processes and performance.
- Discovered $210k of over-payments made over a 1 year period; which lead to a 5% reduction in fiscal expenses
- Built a superbly tuned multi-cultural accounting team, encouraging a collaborative work environment which improved team morale along with productivity, and accountability
- Revamped the financial system software enabling improved financial reporting, and standardization leading to a 2% increase in profits
- Combine weekly budgets and forecasts from the accounting group and compile monthly accounting summary report for management team
- Delivered 5-figure cost savings through the implementation of equipment leasing alternative reports, which were acted on by management to achieve the savings
- Streamlined the A/P, A/R and expense reporting processes which lead to more accurate reporting and faster turn around times in daily tasks; freeing up these departments to take on additional responsibilities
Drake Company, Seattle, WA
January 2007– July 2010
- Completed several comprehensive valuations, and credit analysis regarding acquisition targets
- Played a key role in performing due diligence for several corporate merger and acquisition projects
- Developed an accounting system which calculated, and tracked fully diluted and primary earnings per share for common stock
- Implemented better financial controls which significantly reduced audit adjustments
- Developed several VB macros for Excel accounting spreadsheets which reduced manual entry and increased accuracy
University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, Ca
Bachelor of Science in Accounting
Certified Public Accountant
California Society of Certified Public Accountants
American Institute of CPAs
We hope you’ve found our accounting resume tips and sample page to be detailed, informative and helpful. If you have any further questions or feedback we love hearing from our readers, so please feel free to leave a comment!